Sunday, April 29, 2007

New and amazing . . .


DSC02166
Originally uploaded by robisonpdx.
Many studios tell you about cool new technology, tools and toys, but here at Mt. Tabor Recording Studio we are excited about . . . NATURAL LIGHT.

I worked the better part of the morning engineering a new and improved sound dampening, light blocking mechanism for the front of the studio.

The problem is many-fold (can I say that?!?):

1) the garage door at the front of the studio is a bit thin and bands playing can be loud out front, I have found that a couple furniture blankets knock the waves down enough that it isn't a problem.

2) Security, I don't want any passer by to be able to peek in and take inventory.

3) Ambiance, some people actually don't like natural light when they are creating.

4) The garage door when accessible is a VERY convenient load in/out entrance.

What I ended up with courtesy of a 10' length of steel conduit, an 11' long canvas drop cloth, a cool ass grommet kit, some shower curtain hangers, a couple furniture blankets and a healthy dose of duct tape is a working noise/light curtain thingy-ma-jig.

When I want light, or access I simply throw it open like a couple giant curtains. When i want security/noise dampening/ambiance I pull them closed.

DIY is the way to go I tell you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home